I LOVE bananas, they’re probably one of my favourite fruits taste wise (banana bread, banana pecan muffins, banana pancakes, banana strawberry smoothies, oh and of course banana mamas!). While on this weight loss journey, I didn’t want to have to give up all of my favourite things and I wanted to make sure I had healthy snacks on hand in case I get a sweet tooth! This muffin recipe I especially love because it contains NO flour, NO Sugar, is packed with protein!
- Oat bran: Fiber is an essential part of a healthy diet, but it doesn’t have to taste like cardboard. Oat bran is a type of insoluble fiber – the kind that can help lower your cholesterol. Aside from the cardiovascular bonus, oat bran can help regulate your bowel movements and keep your colon healthy. Just 1/2 cup of oat bran provides about 2.2 g of insoluble fiber — a good start toward your daily needs.
- Protein powder: I use protein powder in these muffins – 1 scoop. I find it gives the muffins a hint more of flavour and additional protein. I used vanilla protein powder, but chocolate or any other of your fave flavours would taste great too!
- Bananas: I tend to use unthawed frozen bananas. We all have those straggler bananas that start going brown. Instead of tossing them, throw them in the freezer – when you’re ready to make your muffins, just unthaw them and you’re good to go – they are already soft and super easy to blend in.
- Applesauce: I use unsweetened applesauce instead of oil
- Greek Yogurt: MORE protein! I use non-fat plain greek yogurt for additional protein and to keep the muffins moist. Use your favourite, but, mine are Liberte and Oikos.
- 1 2/3 cup oat bran
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 small or medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 2 large egg whites (or 1 egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or grease well with coconut oil (I use extra virgin coconut oil)
- In a medium bowl whisk together oat bran, protein powder, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed banana, applesauce, greek yogurt, egg, and vanilla together until well combined and smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Let batter sit two-three minutes to thicken.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups and bake 15 minutes or until toothpick/fork inserted into center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Prep time: 10mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Once cooled, I typically wrap them individually and freeze them and enjoy when I want a healthy snack.
~ Happiness is Freshly Baked Muffins – moi